Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Abbie Rumbach: The Confession That Blew My Daughter's Mind
- PHOTO: Reese Witherspoon, Ryan Phillipe Reunite
Babysitter or distracted mom: which is better?
Filed under: Development/Milestones: Babies
"In a minute, honey," I'll say to Everett. "I've just got to talk on the phone for a few minutes." He's started to tell his little brother that he has to do his work. He's usually pretty good about it, and getting attention from a babysitter several hours a week helps. But I wonder...
Which is better: having mom around, but distracted by work, or just going whole-hog and hiring the babysitter for more hours?
It's not immediately in the cards given the expense, but I'm considering doing a share with a neighbor, increasing my babysitter load to 30-some hours each week. But does a child benefit more from being cared for by mom who's not paying a huge amount of attention to him, or a babysitter, who is? (but who is not, unfortunately, his parent.)
All other things being equal, which is better?
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- (department of defense)? hey can you build me a super duper all protector? yea what you want on it $$$$$
- My daughter (14 yrs) was just kicked out of her Girl Scout Cadettes troop. Her offense? Having ADD (not hyperactive) and she wasn't picking up on a tr...
- Divorce reasons wife does not want IVF, Donor Sperm