Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Caron Gremont: Obesity's Officially a Disease, So How Come My Child…
- Karri-Leigh P. Mastrangelo: Am I Going to Hell For My Position on…
Blogging Baby Size Six: things I miss since becoming a parent
I love, love, love my boys and can't imagine life without them. But sometimes I can imagine the things I could do if I wasn't so tied down. Not forever mind you. An hour, a day, a long weekend without kids... could be just lovely. Here are the top six things I miss most about being a mama:
- Spur-of-the-moment trips. Once upon a time, I could decide to go to New York, or London, or the beach, and as long as I had four or five hundred bucks' availability on my credit card, I was there. Now there are car seats and full fare for two years-and-up and babysitters and diapers and, oh my, I'll just watch the Travel Channel.
- Getting one thing at the grocery store. Unless I'm cooking a leisurely dinner, my husband is present and accounted for, and at least one child is napping, I can't just up and run to the grocery store to get oil-cured olives or Cotes du Rhone or plain yogurt. It's a full-fledged trip or I skip it.
- Eating at the bar. Happy Hour used to be so great. Drink specials, cheap-and-yummy appetizers, and great conversation. Ha! Now Happy Hour is when naptime precedes dinner.
- Running late at night with my husband. We used to go on regular three-mile runs after an 8 p.m. dinner. Now running has to be on the calendar along with "date night" and requires a full-fledged child care action plan. Is it any wonder I haven't run for two weeks?
- Swearing for comedic effect. I used to use the occasional, well-placed s.h.i.t. or f-bomb just because it was funny. Now I only swear if I'm truly, truly angry. And that is not a good thing.
- Sleeping until 1 p.m. Ha! My kids are lovely late sleepers - they often don't get out of bed until 9:30 a.m. But remember when you could stay in bed until after lunchtime on Saturdays? Oh, how I long to just do that one. time.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- patent or not civil case the inventor will never lose because the people approved and he makes the rules. it did not exist
- What's the penalty for falsley claiming relation to a person does it have to be for monetary gain or proven not just a social gesture
- (department of defense)? hey can you build me a super duper all protector? yea what you want on it $$$$$