Household cleaning "erasers" may cause chemical burns

Filed under: Just For Moms, Big Kids, Health & Safety: Babies, Playground Bureau

In an email exchange of gross blog posts between my blogging buddies, the topic changed to the "You should know this" category. I was directed to one of my favourite bloggers, Ms. Kerflop, or the blogger formerly known as Very Mom.

Now before I explain the photo on the right, I don't want anyone making Ms. Kerflop feel bad. Please put yourself in her shoes and acknowledge that something similar has probably happened on your watch. Glass houses, stones and all that. I'm merely sharing this because it's a public safety issue. So behave.

Her adorable five-year-old son likes to help clean up. My Nate, at 22 months, has the same tendency. He will grab a wet cloth and try to wipe off marker stains from his mini Ikea desk and chairs. Ms. Kerflop's son, like many of us who like to get things really clean, has a penchant for Scotchbrite Easy Eraser or Mr. Clean Magic Erase cleaning pads. His mum was probably overjoyed that her son had fun cleaning. Who wouldn't be?

He knew not to eat them. He knew to keep them away from his younger siblings. What Ms. Kerflop, and I suspect most of the general population, did not know was how severe the chemicals in the sponge-type erasers were. There were no warnings of skin irritations on the packaging.

What followed after her son rubbed the pad on his face and chin sounds traumatic. Enough to turn any kid off cleaning ever again. Read her full account of the mishap here.

Mr. Clean is now putting an advisory on their product, and 3M should be looking into it since Ms. Kerflop contacted them about her case.

Have any of you had a similar experience with this type of cleaning product?

ReaderComments (Page 1 of 1)

FollowUs

Flickr RSS

TheTalkies

AskAdviceMama

AdviceMama Says:
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.