Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Caron Gremont: Obesity's Officially a Disease, So How Come My Child…
- Karri-Leigh P. Mastrangelo: Am I Going to Hell For My Position on…
Abstinence-only sex ed programs pretty much lying about condom info
Despite the fact that the government spends $176 million a year on programs that "educate" kids with the idea that sex is only safe for straight married people, numerous studies have shown that these initiatives have been overwhelmingly ineffective. On top of that, it turns out they're grossly misleading students with inaccurate information about condoms.
If your child has been subjected to such a class, he or she has likely heard the following: condoms fail to prevent HIV infection 31 percent of the time during heterosexual sex; the chances of getting pregnant while using a condom are 1 in 6; and condoms break or slip off nearly 15 percent of the time.
It all sounds scary right? Fortunately, none of it is true.
This, according to a report by John S. Santelli, a pediatrician and a professor at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health. It was sent to the Department of Health and Human services this week in conjunction with a letter by the ACLU demanding that these programs at least provide medically accurate information -- as required by law.
I'm constantly amazed that anyone thinks this kind of sex education is a good idea in the first place, but the fact that the organization creating these programs is deliberately falsifying medical information to scare kids out of having sex is almost unbelievable.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- patent or not civil case the inventor will never lose because the people approved and he makes the rules. it did not exist
- Discuss Derian douglas hickman's answer to: 01/16/2013 Order Sua Sponte to/for: Entered 2 day's before initial scheduling conference 01/16/2013
- Here in dc since dec, 6 2006 retired FED BOARD GOV,inventor ,writter, FORMER GOVERNOR (founder of the republic of )DERIAN DOUGLAS HICKMAN