Nike suspends Michael Vick shoe release
Atlanta Falcon star quarterback Michael Vick was indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of sponsoring dog fights.
According to the indictment, Vick and three other men housed, trained, and fought dogs under the name Bad Newz Kennels on a property owned by Vick in Surry County, Va . About eight young dogs were put to death at the Surry County home after they were found not ready to fight in April 2007, the indictment said. They were killed "by hanging, drowning and/or slamming at least one dog's body to the ground."
The indictment also outlined a rough chronology:
• In March 2003, after a pit bull from Bad Newz Kennels lost in a fight, it said Peace consulted with Vick about the losing dog's condition, then executed it by wetting it with water and electrocuting it;
• In March 2003, after two Bad Newz Kennels dog lost fights to dogs owned by a cooperating witness, it alleged that Vick retrieved a bag containing $23,000 and gave it to the owner of the winning dogs. One of the fights had a $20,000 purse;
• In the fall of 2003, a person witnessing a dog fight involving one of the dogs trained by Bad Newz Kennels incurred the wrath of another cooperating witness by yelling out Vick's name in front of the crowd during the fight.
It also said that after establishing Bad Newz Kennels in early 2002, Vick and the others obtained shirts and headbands promoting their affiliation with the kennel.
Michael Vick's legal troubles prompted Nike to suspend the release of its latest product line named after the quarterback. Nike has told retailers it will not release a fifth signature shoe, the Air Zoom Vick V, this summer. Company spokesman Dean Stoyer said the four shoe products and three shirts that currently bear Vick's name will remain in stores.
I understand that people in charge feel the need to tread lightly after the Duke players fiasco, but my sons don't. All they see is Nike still letting the guy who had gruesome dogfights occur ON HIS PROPERTY remain a part of the company. And because they're nice kids who really like dogs and would probably have a couple if allergies weren't such an issue in our house, they're willing to be swooshless and switch to a different shoe brand.
I support their decision completely.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- At the internal revenue service it is not difficult to identify the inventor of a product or service that"s what create's the agency
- Why would a RN to a terminally-ll child would walk out of her job & never say goodby to her patient?
- If every thing was free there would be a precentage of people that would have to pay money