Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Louise Pennington: Teenage Pregnancy, Patriarchal Hypocrisy and…
- 'Rules Of Engagement' 100th Episode Series Finale
How much weight should a pregnant woman gain?
Filed under: Newborns, Just For Moms, Toddlers Preschoolers, Your Pregnancy, Health & Safety: Babies, Development/Milestones: Babies, Day Care & Education, Feeding & Sleeping, Baby-sitting, Research Reveals: Babies, Nutrition: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Expert Advice: Babies, Health & Safety: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Development: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Behavior: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Activities: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Gear Guides: Babies, Gear Guides: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Research Reveals: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Expert Advice: Toddlers & Preschoolers
According to the March of Dimes, carrying too much weight during pregnancy can increase the risk of birth defects, result in labor and delivery problems, and sometimes even cause fetal death. Since 1990, the the Institute of Medicine has recommended that women of 'normal' body mass index gain 25 to 35 pounds during pregnancy. Women with a higher BMI should only gain 15, and women with a lower BMI should gain up to 40 pounds.
Many physicians, including Dr. Raul Artal of the Saint Louis University School of Medicine, say these guidelines need to be revised to take into account the obesity epidemic in the U.S. "The reality is for too long we are telling pregnant women to take it easy during pregnancy, be confined and to eat for two," he said. "This has been one factor in causing the epidemic of overweight and obesity that we see in our country."
This fall, the Institute will being the process of gathering the necessary scientific data to determine if the guidelines should be changed. In the meantime, experts say women should continue to follow the existing guidelines.
How much weight did you gain when pregnant? Was it too much?
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- PLAINTIFF’S MOTION FOR JUDGMENT ON THE PLEADINGS AS TO THE ANSWER BY DEFENDANTS ______________________________. Plaintiff, ________________________ h...
- Using a foreign governement company to defend UNITED STATES OF AMERICA alot of .gov huh
- Copyright royaly board understanding building a radio or tv (song sound good got your own radio)?