Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Linda Bloom LCSW and Charlie Bloom MSW: Overwhelmed Parents: A…
- Allison Tate: What I Would Like to Tell My Son's 5th Grade Teacher Now
Chinese 8-year-old runs 2,200 miles
While I do my best to stay fit, I'm lucky if I can make it 2 miles without sucking wind and getting dizzy. What makes that all the more embarrassing is that this 8-year-old can outrun me -- by about 2,198 miles.
Only July 3, Zhang Huimin started getting up at 2:30 in the morning, and running 40 miles (that's about 1.5 marathons) before stopping, falling asleep, and doing it all again the next day. She finally stopped for good this past Sunday -- having run a total of more than 2,200 miles.
According to the girl's father -- who rode alongside on a bicycle -- he doesn't "push," and makes the training "fun for her." He says it's in preparation for the 2016 Olympics (Huimin will be too young to qualify for the 2008 games).
But others say this kind of training is insane, and basically amounts to child abuse. Even Zhang's wife has left him over the way he treats their daughter.
I have to agree. Obviously the girl is talented, but 40 miles a day for almost 2 months? What an awful thing to do to an 8-year-old who has more important things to do -- like having a normal childhood, for instance.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- My mom's boyfriend molested my sister, my mom doesn't believe her.
- My daughter (14 yrs) was just kicked out of her Girl Scout Cadettes troop. Her offense? Having ADD (not hyperactive) and she wasn't picking up on a tr...
- What's the penalty for falsley claiming relation to a person does it have to be for monetary gain or proven not just a social gesture