Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Linda Bloom LCSW and Charlie Bloom MSW: Overwhelmed Parents: A…
- Allison Tate: What I Would Like to Tell My Son's 5th Grade Teacher Now
Pregnant women told fish in diet is okay
For several years, pregnant or breastfeeding women have been told to limit their intake of certain fish (shark, tile fish, king mackerel, swordfish and albacore tuna) because of the potential high mercury content might make the baby stupid. Many women (myself included) avoided ALL fish, just to be safe and to give future kids the chance to be on the honor roll.
However, a group of top scientists from private groups and federal agencies plans to make a public advisory statement today claiming the lack of omega-3 fatty acids (which fish is chock full of) is what makes babies stupid.
This isn't some sea-weed slurping fly-by-night group either, it includes the American Academy of Pediatrics, the March of Dimes, as well as federal agencies like the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
It's always the best policy to discuss dietary question or concerns with your doctor before you make any changes, and this is no exception.
Special note to my children: You'll just have to study a little harder than the kids of fish-eaters. My bad!
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- The owner of the property or debit creditor can relieve the person(s) of the debt,(a employment position or (court) is not ownership
- Why should anyone listen to a _____, what makes her an expert? Harpo is jus an actress, all she does is sit on her tush & claim she knows it all. ...
- Divorce reasons wife does not want IVF, Donor Sperm