Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Linda Bloom LCSW and Charlie Bloom MSW: Overwhelmed Parents: A…
- Allison Tate: What I Would Like to Tell My Son's 5th Grade Teacher Now
Kids smarter after playing Nintendo DS
At least that's the news from St. Columba's primary school, where 30 students, ages nine and 10, played Nintendo's portable DS unit for 15 minutes every morning before class -- and saw a "dramatic" improvement in their academic performance.
Granted, it's not like they were playing Mario Brothers. Instead, the kids warmed up their brains with Dr. Kawashima's More Brain Training -- a game comprised of number challenges, problem-solving exercises and memory puzzles. It's a game that's actually designed to increase blood flow to the pre-frontal cortex, which gives the brain a workout.
So kids, now's the time to start pressuring mom and dad to get you a DS for Christmas. But remember, it's not because you want to waste time playing The Legend of Zelda -- it's because you want to learn.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- 01/16/2013 Order Sua Sponte to/for: Entered 2 day's before initial scheduling conference
- My daughter (14 yrs) was just kicked out of her Girl Scout Cadettes troop. Her offense? Having ADD (not hyperactive) and she wasn't picking up on a tr...
- (department of defense)? hey can you build me a super duper all protector? yea what you want on it $$$$$