Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Jennifer Pellegrini: After a Wild Week of News, Two Stories You Might…
- Rev. Susan Baller-Shepard: Wild And Precious Lives: Godspeed…
Facebook group dedicated to drunk girls
A better name for the Facebook group 30 Reasons Girls Should Call It a Night might be Girls Gone Wasted or What Sort of Person is Taking (and Posting) These Pictures?!
What used to be stories shared among sorority sisters or roommates is now being captured in photographs and put on the internet. Nearly 5,000 photographs have been submitted to the social networking group dedicated to the topic of female drunkenness. Young woman are seen passed out on various surfaces (dance floors, public bathrooms, bathtubs, flowerbeds, sidewalks, shopping carts), in different phases of being ill, and accidentally exhibiting their undergarments to the world.
And there doesn't seem to be any shame attached to drinking to the point of throwing up and passing out in a bush. The Reasons to Call it a Night group has over 150,000 members and the forums are filled with people eagerly sharing their stories of drunken antics with accompanying photographs.
Experts don't find it as amusing. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are approximately 75,000 deaths each year in the U.S. as a result of excessive alcohol use. Binge drinking is the third leading lifestyle-related cause of death in the nation.
"It's making light of this problem," said Dr. Petros Levounis, director of The Addiction Institute of New York, at St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital. "It actually encourages us to laugh at these people and not even in a good humored manner."
There's also the whole anyone-can-find-these-pictures aspect. Parents, Grandparents, employers, school officials, future and past boyfriends and pageant judges all have access to the internet as well.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Cant upload foia for federal election commission primary election results or general for derian douglas hickman or the e-mail
- If i own all or most of the property in dc think the mayor already knows. president and others including Embassies. on my property for 20 +years
- . two ways to lose property's selling or debt ( debt property is sold to pay debt) the debt has to be proved) court managing property?