Weird Things About Newborns
Filed under: Newborns, Development/Milestones: Babies, Expert Advice: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Nutrition: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Research Reveals: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Gear Guides: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Gear Guides: Babies, Activities: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Behavior: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Development: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Health & Safety: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Expert Advice: Babies, Toddlers Preschoolers, Research Reveals: Babies, Baby-sitting, Feeding & Sleeping, Health & Safety: Babies, Day Care & Education
CNN recently ran an interesting article on common physical characteristics of newborns that can be alarming to new parents. Most people expect the baby to be tiny and red but they don't expect:
- Giant bellybuttons (due to umbilical hernia, generally clears up by age 2)
- Baby acne (occurs when hormonal changes stimulate oil glands in the baby's skin. It usually goes away on its own.)
- Enlarged breasts on boys & girls (caused by exposure to mother's hormones and goes away after a few weeks)
- Crossed eyes (common for the first six weeks of life)
- Third nipple
- Cradle Cap
My list of surprising things about my newborn was a little different and mostly diaper related:
- I had no idea how large and delicate looking the soft-spot on the head would be
- The head was much larger in proportion to the rest of the body than I expected.
- They poop the equivalent of their entire body weight several dozen times a day.
- And it's always runny, like they have a bad case of diarrhea
- Poop is released with a force that defies physics and can be propelled across the room if you happened to be holding their little feet up in the air, wiping an earlier mess.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- How can anyone have the patience to actually have children? Your life is nothing but mindless repetition with no end to it. Even when they grow up you...
- Notice of removal to united states district court for the district of columbia
- Pro-se not considered a attorney no bar# only self representation ,im i at a disadvantage based on non- affilation?