Weird Things About Newborns
Filed under: Newborns, Toddlers Preschoolers, Health & Safety: Babies, Development/Milestones: Babies, Day Care & Education, Feeding & Sleeping, Baby-sitting, Research Reveals: Babies, Nutrition: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Expert Advice: Babies, Health & Safety: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Development: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Behavior: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Activities: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Gear Guides: Babies, Gear Guides: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Research Reveals: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Expert Advice: Toddlers & Preschoolers
CNN recently ran an interesting article on common physical characteristics of newborns that can be alarming to new parents. Most people expect the baby to be tiny and red but they don't expect:
- Giant bellybuttons (due to umbilical hernia, generally clears up by age 2)
- Baby acne (occurs when hormonal changes stimulate oil glands in the baby's skin. It usually goes away on its own.)
- Enlarged breasts on boys & girls (caused by exposure to mother's hormones and goes away after a few weeks)
- Crossed eyes (common for the first six weeks of life)
- Third nipple
- Cradle Cap
My list of surprising things about my newborn was a little different and mostly diaper related:
- I had no idea how large and delicate looking the soft-spot on the head would be
- The head was much larger in proportion to the rest of the body than I expected.
- They poop the equivalent of their entire body weight several dozen times a day.
- And it's always runny, like they have a bad case of diarrhea
- Poop is released with a force that defies physics and can be propelled across the room if you happened to be holding their little feet up in the air, wiping an earlier mess.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- What is the fee for filing to run for office? There is no filing fee for U.S. Presidential candidates or people running as write-in candidates
- 50 million people vote and 25% do not vote for you =12.5 million would you really want your image on tv after position ended(you r your entity
- inventions become professions and you should to get paid to go to school. guy wont's to retire one day degree no good ........ ...