Camphor is dangerous for children
The Health Department warned New Yorkers this week to avoid giving products containing camphor to their children. Three seizures in children in the Bronx have been connected with camphor overdose. Children ingest it (which no one should) or it is applied to heavily to the skin, leading to an overdose.
Camphor is found in all kinds of household products, from everything to lip medication, pest control products and even air fresheners. It can be found in solid (cube), balm or ointment form. I know a lot of the chap stick products I use have camphor in them to provide a tingly cooling sensation--and those are the perfect size for little hands looking through mommy's purse!
The Health Department is urging people to throw out and discontinue use of any camphor products that do not list ingredients or that do not have manufacturer information readily available on them--they're illegal, for one thing, and truly unsafe for another.
Symptoms of overdose include stomach ache, nausea, vomiting, irritability, agitation, as well as seizures and may occur very quickly after exposure to camphor from 5 to 20 minutes.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- inventions become professions and you should to get paid to go to school. guy wont's to retire one day degree no good ........ ...
- 10 facilit's MAKING 100 (WHATEVER) A DAY ; LESS THAN 3 YEARS OR 1000 DAY'S YOU WOULD HAVE 1 ,000,000
- Why should anyone listen to a _____, what makes her an expert? Harpo is jus an actress, all she does is sit on her tush & claim she knows it all. ...