Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Dr. Peggy Drexler: The Breadwinner Complex: Are Women Apologizing For…
- Guideposts : Meet The Canine Minister To A Man With Alzheimer's
Baby bottles toxic?
Before I even thought about what feeding apparatus other than the breast I might offer my son I started hearing about possible toxins in baby bottles. Glass bottles I heard, once a thing of the past found mostly in antique stores, were making a comeback as the plastic versions were harmful to children.
All the hullabaloo this time is over BPA, or bisphenol A, a chemical found in plastic containers that, when heated, is released and has caused problems including obesity, diabetes and developmental problems in lab animals. Naturally many parents are concerned, and environmental watchdogs are all over the scene.
I was concerned too. When I bought bottles for my son I couldn't find glass so I ended up with plastic, which seemed more practical anyway. I went with the Born Free baby bottles, which claim to have no BPA in them, making them (allegedly) safer for children. I do have some Dr. Brown's and Avent bottles as well, although Mr. Pickles prefers the Born Free design--they're easier to handle.
With so many choices, so many recalls and so much other stuff to think about, it's no wonder new moms feel so overwhelmed. I don't know at this point how I was able to make the choices I did or end up stocking my house with all the baby stuff before and after having my little one. These reports on possible toxins in this, that and the other seem like they're trying to be helpful and trying to warn parents, but have things gone too far?
I'm glad I have the information and read the article. I feel more armed in my fight to keep my son safe. That said, I'm getting to the point where I am afraid to do anything! At least I have baby bottles free of BPA.