New-mom body issues
Filed under: Newborns, Just For Moms, Your Pregnancy, Health & Safety: Babies, Playground Bureau, Expert Advice: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Nutrition: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Development/Milestones: Babies, Research Reveals: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Gear Guides: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Gear Guides: Babies, Activities: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Behavior: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Development: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Health & Safety: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Expert Advice: Babies, Toddlers Preschoolers, Baby-sitting, Feeding & Sleeping, Day Care & Education, Research Reveals: Babies
What? Really? Those days are gone? If that's the case, I'm glad my pregnancy days are over. There's nothing like sleepless nights, a cranky baby, cracked nipples, and oh pressure to lose weight, to make a new mom feel like she has a firm grip on reality.
Sheesh.Though my instincts were screaming at me to close my browser and go eat a chocolate-covered peanut (or 20), I kept reading. That's when I learned that the survey produced some results that were not only far more realistic than that initial sentence, they were pretty interesting:
- 65% of new moms thought they'd be down to pre-pregnancy weight by their newborn's first birthday.
- 87% were shocked...SHOCKED...to find their stomachs had not returned to normal.
- 42% of moms gained more than recommended during pregnancy.
- 90% of moms who were still overweight a year or two later blamed it on their pregnancies. (You mean that's not ok?)
- Over 50% reported body image issues that didn't exist before having a baby.
- Nearly 50% of moms reported hearing negative comments about their body...from their own parents. OUCH.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- How can anyone have the patience to actually have children? Your life is nothing but mindless repetition with no end to it. Even when they grow up you...
- Good article for a homeless news paper
- Why should anyone listen to a _____, what makes her an expert? Harpo is jus an actress, all she does is sit on her tush & claim she knows it all. ...