Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Claire McCarthy, M.D.: Is Your Family Ready for a Disaster?
- HooplaHa: WATCH: Shari Alyse: Showing What Kids Can Teach Us
Nineteen year old is world's youngest professor
Everyone feels their child is an amazing talent but learning of the accomplishments of a true child prodigy is always an eye-opening experience.
Take Alia Sabur from Northport, N.Y., for instance. As an 8-month-old baby she started talking and reading. By the time she was five, she had finished elementary school and started attending college when she was ten. She completed a bachelor's of science degree in applied mathematics graduating summa cum laude from Stony Brook University at the age of fourteen.
Sabur, who is currently nineteen years old, and has earned an M.S. and a Ph.D. in materials science and engineering from Drexel University, has been hired as a professor at Konkuk University in Seoul, Korea. Accepting the position made her the youngest college professor in history, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, beating the previous record held by Colin Maclaurin in 1717.
However, breaking a three hundred year old record had nothing to do with her decision.
"I really enjoy teaching," said Sabur. "It's something where you can make a difference. It's not just what you can do, but you can enable a lot of other people to make their changes."Spoken like a true educator!
In addition to her teaching duties, Sabur will also continue with her research which involving developing nanotubes for use as cellular probes that could help aid in cures for diseases.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- While attempting to explain consider who your explaining to. building a government may seem like gilligan's island to a person that can't
- (department of defense)? hey can you build me a super duper all protector? yea what you want on it $$$$$
- patent or not civil case the inventor will never lose because the people approved and he makes the rules. it did not exist