Hot on HuffPost Parents:
Eight-year-old swallows magnets and steel balls
No, this isn't something out of a circus side show. An eight-year-old girl from Indiana swallowed a combined total of 30 magnets and steel balls from a toy. The toys parts tore her intestines and doctors are saying she is lucky to be alive. Haley Lents told the Early Show anchors she swallowed ten magnets and 20 steel balls because they looked like CANDY. She spent two weeks in the hospital after being taken to the emergency room where doctors discovered eight bullet-like holes in her intestines. Even scarier for parents is the mom and dad say they were both in the same room with Haley when she consumed the parts!
This story sort of reminds me of that Curious George story wherein George eats the puzzle piece and has to go to the hospital to have it removed. That story was sweet and a little sad but had a happy ending. And it was just a STORY. This poor girl, whose father is confused because he claims she is too smart to do anything like that, is lucky to still be with us after undertaking such a task.
Mega Brands, who make the Magnetix toy, have issued a statement but not accepted responsibility. Haley's father noted however that the new version does not contain magnetic parts that can be swallowed, and does not feel the company has done enough to warn parents of the real dangers of toys with magnetic parts. It's not clear from the article whether the toy was considered age-appropriate for an eight-year-old.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Discuss Derian douglas hickman's answer to: 01/16/2013 Order Sua Sponte to/for: Entered 2 day's before initial scheduling conference 01/16/2013
- 3 SHOWS A HOUR 7 HOURS = 21 (10 DAYS = 210) 10 STUDIOS = 2100 20 STUDIOS = 4200 (IN 10 DAYS) 3 (20 MINUTE SHOWS).
- D. hickman v. intel, microsoft et.al federal district court dc (bill gates deposition part 1 you tube?) are you a owner of a company?