Poison ivy - Baby touched a bad, bad thing

Filed under: Teens, Health & Safety: Babies, Home Remedies

My teenager asked me to look at some bug bites on his back the other morning. The Cross Country team had been taking long runs through the woods and he thought something had chewed him up while he ran the trails.

A half hour later, we were sitting at the doctor's office. The itching and burning was actually poison ivy and it was spreading rapidly. My son was given a predisone shot, oral medications, and a cream to be applied twice a day. However, that left many itchy hours in between.

After conferring with friends, researching on the internet, and talking to local homeopaths, here's what we ended up trying:

  • Rhus Toxicodendron (known as "rhus tox") is a homeopathic pill that my son says relieves the itch almost immediately after it dissolves under the tongue
  • Soaking in a bath of tepid water and apple cider vinegar or baking soda 2 or 3xs a day
  • Vitamin C to promote healing of the skin
  • Black Walnut capsules which are supposed to help the body fight the poison ivy toxins
  • Burt's Bees poison ivy soap

Of course, if your child found leaves of three and didn't let them be, check with your doctor before trying any of these treatments out. Good luck!

ReaderComments (Page 1 of 1)

FollowUs

Flickr RSS

TheTalkies

AskAdviceMama

AdviceMama Says:
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.