Don't put Baby in Corner (or a dirty onesie)
Filed under: Fashion, Expert Advice: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Nutrition: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Gear Guides: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Gear Guides: Babies, Activities: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Research Reveals: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Behavior: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Development: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Health & Safety: Toddlers & Preschoolers, Expert Advice: Babies, Research Reveals: Babies, Baby-sitting, Feeding & Sleeping, Day Care & Education, Development/Milestones: Babies, Health & Safety: Babies, Toddlers Preschoolers
A pregnant friend recently asked whether the layette suggestions from stores and baby books were actually necessary or just another way for companies to squeeze every last dollar from inexperienced and anxious parents. I was happy to do a little research and came up with the following report.
According to About.com. new babies need the following:
- 5-10 onesies or rompers (depending on how often you want to do laundry)
Personally, I'd say this is a low estimate. One thing seldom mentioned in baby books is how often bodily fluids come flying out of those tiny little bodies. Since onesies are at ground zero and that handy little snap crotch tab so easily flops down into the mess during diaper changes, having 20 on hand decreases the likelihood of your husband discovering you crying while holding a naked baby in the laundry room waiting for the dryer to finish.
- 5-7 baby sleepers or nightgowns
I didn't bother putting clothes on my babies until they were about 3 months old because of the aforementioned bodily fluid issue, so my kids lived in their sleepers. The simplification of their clothing made changing them out of icked up outfits every 14.7 minutes much easier.
- 1 cold weather sleeper if necessary
This is a really funny suggestion! Having only one piece of ANY baby apparel triggers a biological spit-up reflex in ALL infants. Unless you want to be known as Barf Baby's mother, always have a back-up.
- 5-7 pairs of baby socks
Sure, you could get only 5 pairs of twee baby socks, but after the washer and dryer eat 75% of them (and NEVER a full pair, you'll always be left with orphaned, mismatched ones) you're going have to buy more. Why not just go ahead and buy 20 pairs the first time and be done with it?!
- 1-2 newborn hats, depending on climate
Babies can poop on their hats too. Don't ask how, just know you need more than 2.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- At the internal revenue serice level it is not difficult to identify the inventor of a product or service they are taxable so are the salary's.
- The owner of the property or debit creditor can relieve the person(s) of the debt,(a employment position or (court) is not ownership
- The need for a military is consistant with the intellect on the land being able to convert metals into a computer example