Abigail Breslin Makes $13 a Week
At the premiere of her latest movie, "My Sister's Keeper," she told reporters that she recently got a $1 raise. "I get $13 [a week] now, because I'm 13," says Breslin.
Breslin, who lives with her parents and two brothers, might be a millionaire movie star, but her parents are still teaching her to be financially responsible -- chores and a weekly allowance are status quo for most kids, famous or not.
So what, exactly, is a fair allowance for kids? Breslin's parents go the dollar-a-week-per-year route, so Abigail got a raise after her last birthday. But there really isn't a one size fits all way to attack allowance. Here are some reasonable tips for deciding on an amount. Consider:
- the age of your child
- your own income
- what your child's friends are getting
- what you expect your child to pay for
About.com has an allowance calculator for parents who like to do things the way their parents did. So, for instance, if you got $5 a week when you were a kid, it'll tell you the equivalent amount today.
How do you handle allowance in your house?
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- 50 million people vote and 25% do not vote for you =12.5 million would you really want your image on tv after position ended(you r your entity
- The owner of the property or debit creditor can relieve the person(s) of the debt,(a employment position or (court) is not ownership
- Copyright court case litigation? the words spoken by attorney at trial ? in defense of a product or person(or as plaintiff or defendant))