Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Cory Silverberg: Science and Storytelling in Sex Education
- Carrie Smith: Building a Family: Is Going Into Debt for In Vitro or…
Obama Has Perfect Attendance at Parent-Teacher Conferences
A lot of fathers would attend their children's parent-teacher conferences, but gosh darn it, things are just so busy at work these days.
He's the President of the United States.
Yet Barack Obama has never missed a parent-teacher conference. In fact, he and first lady Michelle Obama attended the latest conferences Monday, according to The Associated Press. Daughter Malia, 11, attends sixth grade at the private Quaker school's District of Columbia campus while Sasha, 8, attends third grade at the campus in Bethesda, Md.
Sidwell Friends was founded in 1883 by Thomas Sidwell. Its D.C. campus is just four blocks from the White House and Monday marked the first parent-teacher conferences of the new school year. It was an early morning for the Obamas. They hit both campuses and were back in the White House by 9:30 a.m.
Not only has the president never missed a parent-teacher conference at Sidwell Friends, the AP reported, he never missed a conference while on the campaign trail either. And since taking the oath of office in January, the Obamas have also attended a presentation by Sasha's class and are regulars as their daughters' basketball and soccer games.
After Sasha's soccer team scored in a game in May, The Washington Post reported that the president abandoned all sense of bipartisanship.
"Go! Go! Go! Goal!" he yelled as he threw up his hands.
Related: Obama Baby Boom Didn't Deliver
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- My daughter (14 yrs) was just kicked out of her Girl Scout Cadettes troop. Her offense? Having ADD (not hyperactive) and she wasn't picking up on a tr...
- Using a foreign governement company to defend UNITED STATES OF AMERICA alot of .gov huh
- There are more than 67,000 households on the list ...?????????????