Hot on HuffPost Parents:
Kids More Stressed Out Than Ever Before, Survey Shows
The 2009 Stress in America survey, administered by the American Psychological Association, is the first to ask children about their stress levels, according to U.S. News & World Report. The results are startling: One third of the 1,206 children ages 8 to 17 surveyed admitted that they are more stressed out than they were just one year ago.
Even more surprising is the revelation that parents are missing their kids' cues. Only 18 percent of moms and dads believed their kids were worried about money, while 30 percent of children said that financial concerns stressed them out. Two-thirds of parents surveyed also fail to realize that how they handle their own stress can influence their kids, while 80 percent of children said they learn their healthy living habits from the way their parents behave.
How can you tell if your child is experiencing stress? Headaches, trouble sleeping, lack of appetite and tummy aches are some good indicators. Don't turn a blind eye, because kids who internalize their fears and worries instead of acting out are at a higher risk for developing anxiety problems and depression, according to the APA.
But don't despair -- there are tools for stress relief:
- Be available. Turn off that phone and log off the Internet, because 85 percent of kids surveyed said they weren't comfortable talking to their parents because Mom and Dad were too busy.
- Respond thoughtfully. Kids will tune out if you act angry or defensive, and remember to focus on your child's feelings about the situation and not your own.
- Be honest. Kids know when they're being fed a line. Be upfront in an age-appropriate way -- be it marital problems, money issues or other adult concerns. Tell them you are working together to solve the problem.
- Seek additional help. There's no shame in seeking the assistance of a therapist, doctor or psychologist.
Related: Bad Economy Spurs Runaways
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Why should anyone listen to a _____, what makes her an expert? Harpo is jus an actress, all she does is sit on her tush & claim she knows it all. ...
- If i own all or most of the property in dc think the mayor already knows. president and others including Embassies. on my property for 20 +years
- D. hickman v. intel, microsoft et.al federal district court dc (bill gates deposition part 1 you tube?) are you a owner of a company?
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.