Quick and Easy Quinoa Veggie Salad Recipe
Are you looking for something a little different to serve your family? Try this quinoa-based salad that not only gives you a bit of protein, but some vitamin-rich vegetables too.
Quinoa is a great grain alternative to your traditional rice medley. It is very light in flavour and texture compared to other grains that can sometimes leave your stomach feeling heavy. This salad recipe is also very versatile, as it can be modified many ways to adapt to your family's tastes. If you want to cut back on the fat, you can skip the avocado -- but remember that avocado is a heart-healthy fat, not like the fats found in baked goods that can clog arteries. Some moms like to add cooked beans or pulses to make it a complete meal. If you want to up the veggie quotient, chopped spinach is a great addition, or for a little sweetness, try unsulfered raisins or dried cranberries. This dish can easily be packed for a lunch or dinner on the go, making it a great option for busy families.
A quick and easy quinoa salad recipe, after the jump...
Quinoa Vegetable Salad
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 - 15 minutes
1 cup dry quinoa
1 cup diced cucumber
2 tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, chopped
Juice from 1 freshly squeezed lemon
Sea Salt to taste
- Cook quinoa according to directions on the package.
- Transfer cooked quinoa to a medium-sized bowl. Add the cucumber, tomato, avocado, lemon juice and sea salt.
- Mix well. Can serve immediately or let sit covered for 1 hour to allow full flavours to be absorbed throughout the salad.
1 serving (about 3/4 cup): 190 Calories, 7g Fat, 5.6g Protein, 28g Carbohydrates, 1.8g Sugar, 5.3g Fiber, 170mg Sodium, 3.5mg Iron
Karla Heintz, Nutrition Educator and Author of 'Picky? Not Me, Mom! A Parents' Guide to Children's Nutrition.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Court Filings and Court Records updated daily Go Back Lawsuit or other court case details PlaintiffBROOKS, ZINA EULLETECase #DF-00-20075 Defendant HIC...
- You are unable to follow more people at this time. Learn more here. 497 TWITTER FOLLOWERS
- How can anyone have the patience to actually have children? Your life is nothing but mindless repetition with no end to it. Even when they grow up you...
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.