Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Lisa Belkin: The Tornado In Oklahoma Is This Parent's Living Nightmare
- Jenn Horton: Every Mom Deserves Your Nod
British Chain Says Shoppers in PJs Not Allowed, Mom Protests
A British retail giant has decided that customers wearing PJs are not welcome. And that has one mom crying foul.
Elaine Carmody, 24, is a mother of two young boys who frequently shopped at her local Tesco wearing pajamas. (They spell it "pyjamas" across the pond, FYI.) About a week ago, Carmody tried to buy a pack of cigarettes and was turned away, according to the BBC.
For wearing pajamas.
Carmody says she thinks it's "stupid" that the store decided not to allow folks to shop wearing what a Tesco sign refers to as "nightwear." The busy mom wonders, "If you're allowed to wear jogging bottoms, why aren't you allowed to wear pyjamas in there, that's what I don't understand?" Here is a YouTube video that appears to include the interview with Carmody; we were unable to verify it's authenticity, but the quotes are the same.
Some of Carmody's fellow countrymen seem to agree with her. On a BBC News message board, one reader writes, "Its none of Tesco's business what people wear in their stores. That's the last time I buy anything from them."
Tesco isn't fooling around when it comes to enforcing its new dress code. The Daily Mail reports that Carmody was "escorted off the premises by a security guard." (Perhaps pajamas are considered dangerous in England? Do street gangs wear them?)
Tesco is Britain's largest retail chain, according to Wikipedia. In 2007, the Spice Girls appeared in an ad for the store. (People still care about the Spice Girls in the U.K.)
What do you think? Was Tesco right to ban PJs? Or should they let shoppers wear what they want, what they really really want?
Related: British Train Station Enacts Kissing Ban
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- 01/16/2013 Order Sua Sponte to/for: Entered 2 day's before initial scheduling conference
- LAW SCHOOL OR COPYCAT would'nt it be a difficult profession ( lawyer)if anyone could use your court case defense as plaintiff or defendant
- Cant upload foia for federal election commission primary election results or general for derian douglas hickman or the e-mail
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.