Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Dr. Peggy Drexler: The Breadwinner Complex: Are Women Apologizing For…
- Guideposts : Meet The Canine Minister To A Man With Alzheimer's
British School Bans Valentine's Day Cards
Don't expect to see Cupid's arrows flying at one U.K. school: This year, Valentine's Day cards are a big no-no.
Peter Turner, the headmaster at Ashcombe Primary School in Somerset, England, sent a letter to parents this week advising them that valentines in school are verboten, according to a report in London's Daily Mail.
"Some children and parents encourage a lot of talk about boyfriends and girlfriends [which] often leads to children being upset when they are 'dumped' and other fuss which interrupts their learning," Turner writes in the letter.
"The school believes that such ideas should wait until children are mature enough emotionally and socially to understand the commitment involved in having or being a boyfriend or girlfriend," he adds, and that "any cards found in school will be confiscated."
Parents interviewed by Daily Mail reporter Ryan Kisiel were less than thrilled, calling the decision "heavyhanded" and "sad."
Outspoken British politician and author Ann Widdecombe also weighs in.
"Valentine's day is just a bit of fun," she tells the Mail, also calling the ban "stupid."
Other schools have engaged in similar wars on the chocolate- and paper heart -centric holiday. In 2008, two Catholic girls' schools in Australia banned flower deliveries "because of fears some students could feel left out," according to The Herald Sun. Earlier this year, the Lawrence County School Board in Tennessee also considered banning flower deliveries because it was too "distracting" for students and staff.
Related: I May Be in a Relationship, But I Hate Valentine's Day
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- HICKMAN, DERIAN DOUGLAS PLAINTIFF PRO SE & INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE Defendant Service: Summons Issued Method: Service Issued
- Does the dc superior court represent the irs in a civil filing or does the irs have attorneys?
- Discuss Derian douglas hickman's answer to: 01/16/2013 Order Sua Sponte to/for: Entered 2 day's before initial scheduling conference 01/16/2013
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.