Our Fave Winter Olympics Moments Deliver Parenting Gold
Filed under: Sports
Watching the Olympics is fun, and when you're a parent, it's impossible not to see parenting-related stories all over the slopes and the ice. Here's a round-up of ParentDish's top moments so far from the 2010 Winter Olympics.
- Speed-skater Apolo Ohno beat Bonnie Blair's record for most medals won by a U.S. Olympian at the Winter Games. And he got there while being raised by a single father. Ohno's parents divorced when he was baby, and his mother "dropped out" of his life, according to a 2002 Sports Illustrated article. Sad, but it looks like he's done all right for himself. (Ohno also won "Dancing With The Stars" in 2007.)
- Olympic trivia tidbit: Ohno's speedskater teammate, Shani Davis, was the basis for the character Frozone in Disney/Pixar's hit movie "The Incredibles." Like Ohno, Davis was also raised by a single parent -- his mother Cherie -- on the South Side of Chicago.
- If you want to show the kids that third place isn't all that bad, take a look at this photo of France's Marie Dorin on the podium, accepting her bronze medal for the women's biathlon 7.5 km. No, she didn't win gold. But she did win bronze! At the Olympics! That is definitely something to celebrate.
- Someone else who was thrilled to come in third was J.R. Celski, the Team USA speedskater who won a bronze medal in the same race that Ohno won silver. Celski is only 19. This is his first Olympics. Oh, and in September of last year, Celski was injured so badly during a race that many thought he would never skate again. And he just won a medal. "Only" bronze? Don't tell him that.
- Have you seen the cute Procter & Gamble ads that say the company is a "proud sponsor of moms"? This press release explains why -- the company paid for a lot of moms to go to Vancouver to watch their kids compete. Here's one of the P&G Olympic ads, "To Their Moms, They'll Always Be Kids":
What are your favorite Olympic moments so far?
Related: Kid Olympics: Fun and Fitness
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- A pro- se attorney( represents himself or herself) court motions and filings : be considered under oath?
- PLAINTIFF’S MOTION FOR JUDGMENT ON THE PLEADINGS AS TO THE ANSWER BY DEFENDANTS ______________________________. Plaintiff, ________________________ h...
- Do people ever get a civil trial this is too many dismissals with out a response from defendants
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.