ParentDish Olympics Update: Babies, Dads, Cigars and Beer
- Of the four woman on Russia's gold medal winning biathlon relay team, three are moms. Team member Olga Zaitseva tells the AFP news service that giving birth to her son, Alexander, in 2007, has helped her as an athlete. Zaitseva also suggests that perhaps her team's competition should do some spawning, too. "I would recommend to the French and German team as well, don't be afraid, go ahead and have babies -- and get better in sports." Russian biathlete Anna Boulygina tells AFP she thinks "children are the main thing women are designed to do." Well, that and skiing while shooting a rifle.
- The Web site Slate points out that "the words father, dad, and son were uttered a staggering 47 times between Friday and Sunday" on NBC's Olympics coverage. Granted, one of those mentions was coverage of a story that we liked as well, that of Apolo Ohno being raised by a single dad.
- Speaking of fathers, Team USA skier Julia Mancuso's dad went to jail for smuggling pot in the '90s. We're fairly certain that wasn't one of the "dad" references on NBC last weekend.
- And, speaking of single parents, let's remember that Debbie Phelps raised 2008 Summer Games hero Michael on her own.
- Life Lessons from Sports Alert: Some people are upset at the way the Canadian women's hockey team celebrated its gold medal win. Those kooky canuckleheads hit the ice with cigars and beer. And one of the team members might not be of legal drinking age! Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be female Canadian hockey players ...
- And now, get a tissue. We'll wait. OK, got it? Good. Remember Joannie Rochette, the Canadian figure skater whose mom died suddenly last week? She won a bronze medal. Excuse us ... talk amongst yourselves ...
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Hickman vs. federal election commission and internal revenue servise
- At the internal revenue serice level it is not difficult to identify the inventor of a product or service they are taxable so are the salary's.
- LAW SCHOOL OR COPYCAT would'nt it be a difficult profession ( lawyer)if anyone could use your court case defense as plaintiff or defendant
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.