Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Find Out What Beyonce Will Name Baby No. 2!
- Teen Who Died During Her First Solo Drive May Have Been Texting
CPSC Chief Inez Tenenbaum Says China Has 'Gotten The Message'
Filed under: In The News
It's the calling card of a staggering percentage of products that Americans buy. And what does that phrase conjure for you? Poorly made? Dangerous? Ask America's top product safety official about Chinese-made products and you're going to get a different answer. She said change is already here -- asserting there's a new awareness among Chinese government officials and manufacturers that has led to a noticeable difference in imports from that country meeting U.S. standards.
Consumer Product Safety Commission Chairwoman Inez Tenenbaum said recent law changes in the U.S. and a constant dialogue with the Chinese government is yielding results that should end up with American consumers feeling better about Chinese products.
"They have gotten the message," Tenenbaum said. "And it's very important to the Chinese that the brand 'Made in China' have a positive meaning to Americans, since we are probably the largest consuming nation of Chinese products ... Our economies are tied, but we do not jeopardize safety for trade issues."
She said the Chinese have closed some factories that violated U.S. safety laws.
To watch the interview and read more about this issue, visit WalletPop.com/consumer-ally.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Using a foreign governement company to defend UNITED STATES OF AMERICA alot of .gov huh
- (department of defense)? hey can you build me a super duper all protector? yea what you want on it $$$$$
- Copyright court case litigation? the words spoken by attorney at trial ? in defense of a product or person(or as plaintiff or defendant))
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.