Make-and-Learn Crafts: Passover Seder Plate
What You'll Need:
White foam board or cardboard, available at art and craft stores like Michael's
Bowl or platter, for a circle pattern, about 16" in diameter
Scissor or utility knife, adults only
White paint and paint brush, if using cardboard
Buttons and other embellishments, as desired
White tacky glue
6 silicone or paper baking cups, like these at amazon, or glass condiment bowls, like these at Chefs Catalog
1. On foam board or cardboard, trace around the top rim of bowl or platter with pencil.
2. Place board on a well-protected surface, and an adult only should use a utility knife to cut out the circle. Or, if you'd rather, use scissors to cut out the board.
3. If using cardboard, now's the time to paint it with white acrylic paint. Let it dry thoroughly.
4. Place baking cups or bowls around the rim of the plate, spacing them evenly. Using them as a guide, draw a squiggly circle around each cup with a black marker. Remove the cups.
5. Outline each squiggly circle with another, slightly larger one. Then using another baking cup or bowl as a guide, draw a squiggly circle at the center of the plate and outline this one, too.
6. Draw the Star of David inside the center circle. Use the markers to color in each circle and outline. When done, use the black marker to indicate the symbolic food on each circle -- a shank bone, charoset, bitter herbs, hard-boiled egg and leafy, green vegetable.
7. Glue bright buttons around the center circle and rick rack around the board rim. Add other embellishments as your artist desires.
8. Older children can use glass bowls and decorate them with rick rack or ribbon trim and buttons. Younger ones can simply place the silicone cups at each marking.
TIP: Older kids might enjoy using a ceramic or plastic platter instead of cardboard. Either one is easy to find at grocery and home stores like Target. Use paint markers instead of regular markers to write on these.
Related: More Passover Crafts from HoliDash
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.