Common Allergy Culprits in Children
My son has eczema all over his face and very bad asthma. Do you think it could be the milk he is drinking?
In Canada, 12 - 25 per cent of children suffer from eczema, with 90 per cent of cases occurring before a child's fifth birthday.
As for asthma, the National Population Health Survey reported asthma in 12.2 per cent of the Canada's under 20s.
Numerous studies have shown a strong link between asthma and allergies. In Canada, the nine most common food allergens that could act as a trigger for your son are:
- tree nuts (such as almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts, macadamia, pecans, pine nuts, pistachio and walnuts)
- sesame seeds
- fish (including shellfish and crustaceans)
- hives, swelling, eczema, itchy bumps
- wheezing, vomiting or bloody diarrhea
What Can You Do?
Avoid the food item you suspect is causing problems, or, if you're unsure, start eliminating one of the nine common allergens one-by-one, for a minimum of two weeks. Be sure to pay close attention to food labels and, if they are old enough, teach your child what to look out for.
In Canada, 90 per cent of the most common allergens are contained in the list above, so cutting out milk or eggs from your child's diet is a great place to start. The chance of your child being allergic to all the items on the list is very small. I also recommend going to see an allergist who can help with specific testing using the skin-prick method.
If you're worried your child is allergic to dairy always check for these items on product labels:
- whey, casein, caseinate, butter flavouring, lactic acid, lactoferrin, lactoglobulin, curds, natural or artificial flavours and sodium caseinate
- always research: tofu, baked goods, coffee, chocolate, brown sugar, fried foods, seasonings and soup mixes
If you have a questions you would like answered please leave it in the comments below.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Does the dc superior court represent the irs in a civil filing or does the irs have attorneys?
- Are all items consumable or a product and ingredients ...public record or are you literature restricted
- Governor at 15 the average life expectancy in 1950 was about 50 making 25 middle age and your prime about 15-17
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.