Lentil Vegetable Soup Recipe
Filed under: Nutrition: Health
Try this tasty, protein-rich dish. It's perfect for anyone - even if you're not vegetarian. Lentils are an amazing source of fibre, and add great taste and texture to many soups.
Supermarket and restaurant soups can be loaded with enough salt to fill your sodium quota for the entire day - or, even week. Instead, follow the recipe below to create a lower sodium soup base that your heart will thank you for and your taste buds won't even notice.
Lentil Vegetable Soup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 chopped onion (white or red)
2 cloves of garlic, minced (or 1.5 tsp minced)
1 cup carrots
4 baby potatoes
4 celery legs
1 1/4 cup green or red lentils, dry
6 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Sea salt for taste
Ground pepper for taste
- Heat oil on medium heat in a medium sized pot.
- Chop the onion, carrots, potato and celery into smaller pieces.
- Add the onion and garlic to the heated pot and cook about 5 minutes, until they soften.
- Add the carrots, celery, lentils, broth and parsley. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for about 25 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender.
Karla Heintz (BSc) is a nutrition educator, speaker, consultant and national author of 'Picky? Not Me, Mom! A parents' guide to children's nutrition'. She works with athletes and families on finding ways to improve their eating for performance and overall health.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.