Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Rev. Susan Baller-Shepard: Wild And Precious Lives: Godspeed…
- 27 Fantastic Books For Kids Of All Ages
Celebrate Earth Day With Your Kids
Filed under: Going Green
Forty years ago, on April 22, 1970, Wisconsin Sen. Gaylord Nelson founded Earth Day as a nationwide protest against the growing environmental degradation that had become the norm in the U.S.
Since that initial grassroots effort to bring awareness to environmental concerns, Earth Day has grown into a worldwide call-to-action. Celebrated by more than one billion people annually, Earth Day is the largest secular holiday in the world.
Credited with being the force behind the creation of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the passage of the Clean Air, Clean Water and Endangered Species acts, Earth Day is celebrated on April 22 of every year. And, despite the worldwide acknowledgment of the fragility of our planet, it is our children who will someday be responsible for taking care of our planet.
Here are some ways you can help them learn about the earth and get involved in making it a better place.
- Funschool is a collection of online games and crafts that entertain while teaching children about recycling, the earth sciences and the environment.
- Primary Games is another excellent site full of Earth Day games and stories for kids.
- Environmental Kids Club Game Room is sponsored by the EPA and features games that teach about everything from air quality to the water cycle.
- Earth Book for Kids is packed with great ideas for crafts, projects and experiments that encourage young children to become active participants in healing the earth.
- A Hot Planet Needs Cool Kids explores climate change and what kids can do to make a difference.
- 365 Ways to Live Green for Kids: Saving the Environment at Home, School or at Play -- Every Day! offers practical ideas for things kids can do each day to live ecologically friendly lives.
- Holiday Facts & Fun: Earth Day features students participating in Earth Day activities and learning about the importance of maintaining the health of our planet.
- Planet Earth -- The Complete BBC Series includes all five discs of the amazing 11-part nature and wildlife documentary.
- Planet Earth -- The Future reveals the vulnerability of the earth through astonishing images and the stories behind them.
- Environmental Kids Club is sponsored by the Environmental Protection Agency and includes lots of educational information, as well as links for middle and high schoolers who want to get involved and go green.
- Earth Day Network is packed with information on Earth Day and provides a searchable database of events and activities around the world.
- Earth Hour Kids is sponsored by the World Wildlife Fund and and provides information on conservation and ideas for kids who want to take action.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.