French Toast Fingers Recipe: A Healthy Breakfast Kids Love
French toast is always a big breakfast hit. Slice it into fingers and you have a handy finger food that is sure to grab kids' attention.
Here is a traditional french toast recipe with a kick - a calcium filled centre of fruity goodness. The best part: Your kids won't even realize this fibre-packed, protein-rich breakfast it's good for them.
French Toast Fingers
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
4 eggs, fork beaten
1/4 cup low fat milk
1/2 cup spreadable cream cheese - raspberry or strawberry
1/2 cup raspberries or strawberries thawed from frozen
Cinnamon or nutmeg optional
8 slices whole grain bread
Olive oil or cooking spray
1. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together.
2. In another small bowl, mix the cream cheese with the thawed fruit. Fresh fruit can work, but needs to be very soft so blending it would be suggested.
3. Prepare four sandwiches with the cream cheese -fruit as the filling.
4. Dip each side of the sandwich in the egg mixture and cook in a frying pan. Make sure the pan is on medium heat and sprayed or lined with olive oil.
5. When the sides of the bread begin to brown flip until both sides are golden.
6. When cooked, slice the bread into three vertical sandwiches, arrange them on a plate and top with fresh fruit and pure Canadian maple syrup. Honey or agave nectar can also be used too.
Note: Any fruit can be used in this recipe: peaches, mango, blueberries and many others are rich in flavour. Unsweetened applesauce can also be used as a healthy topping.
This recipe is provided by Karla Heintz (BSc), nutrition educator and national author of 'Picky? Not Me, Mom! A parents' guide to children's nutrition.'
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- The data also revealed some interesting facts about Canadians beliefs: A majority (53%) of Canadians believe in God. What is USA %
- Why would a RN to a terminally-ll child would walk out of her job & never say goodby to her patient?
- The need for a military is consistant with the intellect on the land being able to convert metals into a computer example
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.