Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Lisa Belkin: The Tornado In Oklahoma Is This Parent's Living Nightmare
- Jenn Horton: Every Mom Deserves Your Nod
Little Girl Welcomes Soldier Father Home
Filed under: In The News
The photo, which represents the true cost of war, quickly gained nationwide attention, NBC Philadelphia reports. But this story has a happy ending, now that Paige Bennethum's dad, Staff Sgt. Brett Bennethum, has returned from Iraq.
Bennethum says a lot has changed in the year that he was away. "I can't believe how much she's grown," he says of Paige. "When I left, she was a lot more cuddly. Now she's a lot more teenagery."
He says he thanks his wife, Abby, for caring for Paige and their two other children, Lena and Chase, while he was in Iraq.
"I had a system for everything...and whenever he's not doing things the way I've been doing them, I wind up going 'I have a system and you're messing it up,'" she jokes.
Abby snapped the famous photo, which hangs throughout the family's home and around Paige's neck in a locket, NBC Philadelphia reports.
"Now I'm always gonna remember that he's going to be back after work every day," Paige says.
Related: Little Girl Can't Let go as Sergeant Daddy Leaves For Iraq
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Would you want to to pick your own security . ? im sure they get homes paid for by the state or political party also. 18 =20 votes before 98
- Why should anyone listen to a _____, what makes her an expert? Harpo is jus an actress, all she does is sit on her tush & claim she knows it all. ...
- When did American Girl stories change?
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.