Potato Pancakes Recipe for Any Occasion
It's the food synonymous with weekends and sleep-in days - hot fluffy pancakes.
Want to make your favourite Sunday dish healthier by adding vegetables? Now you can with these delicious potato pancakes.
Potatoes make a great start to the day as they are an excellent source of energy giving carbohydrates (not deep fried of course!), provide more potassium than a banana and don't contain any cholesterol. Follow the recipe below for a yummy spud breakfast and be creative adding your own creative seasonings for your family to enjoy.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Makes about 16 pancakes - 2 per serving1 lb (500g) potatoes (yams or sweet potatoes can work too)
1 egg, beaten with a fork
1 tbsp flour (whole wheat or brown rice are good alternatives)
Cinnamon and or nutmeg (optional)
Sea salt to taste
Fruit to serve on top
1. Grate potatoes into a medium sized bowl. Do not remove the skin as that is where the fiber is found.
2. Add the egg, flour, spices and salt. Mix well.
3. On medium heat, spray a medium sized sauce pan with cooking oil.
4. With a table spoon, scoop the potato mixture and place in the pan. Two scoops makes two pancakes. Press the pancakes down with your spoon to flatten out until they are about an 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick.
5. Cook each pancake until it has slightly browned (about 5 - 7 minutes), then flip over. Cook the other side until it browns.
6. Repeat with remaining mixture.
7. Serve on a plate and top with applesauce, sliced bananas or peaches.
Note: This dish can be made as a side item for lunch or dinner. Top with salsa, grated leafy greens, tomato and melted cheese.
Karla Heintz (BSc) is a nutrition educator and national author of 'Picky? Not Me, Mom! A parents guide to children's nutrition.' She has worked with families for 10 years encouraging little chefs to get their aprons dirty and make changes for a healthier tomorrow.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- The data also revealed some interesting facts about Canadians beliefs: A majority (53%) of Canadians believe in God. What is USA %
- At the internal revenue service it is not difficult to identify the inventor of a product or service that"s what create's the agency
- Is it legal to claim relation to a person ? ( OR DOES IT HAVE TO BE FOR MONATERY GAIN) TO BE ILLEGAL ?
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.