Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Find Out What Beyonce Will Name Baby No. 2!
- Teen Who Died During Her First Solo Drive May Have Been Texting
1 in 5 High Schoolers Abuse Prescription Drugs, Report Finds
ATLANTA (AP) - A new report shows one in five high school students have taken a prescription drug that they didn't get from a doctor. The abused drugs include pain pills and attention deficit drugs used as study aids.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study found that the drug use was most common among 12th graders. White students took the drugs more than blacks or Hispanics. The CDC did not have information on which drugs were abused the most.
The findings released Thursday come from a 2009 confidential and anonymous survey of more than 16,000 U.S. high school students. This was the first year students were asked about prescription drug abuse.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
Related: Prescription Drug Use On the Rise in Children
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- My mom's boyfriend molested my sister, my mom doesn't believe her.
- HICKMAN, DERIAN DOUGLAS PLAINTIFF PRO SE & INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE Defendant Service: Summons Issued Method: Service Issued
- LAW SCHOOL OR COPYCAT would'nt it be a difficult profession ( lawyer)if anyone could use your court case defense as plaintiff or defendant
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.