Baby Names and Meanings: Most Popular Names of 2009
Filed under: Babies
When choosing a child's name, its meaning is sometimes secondary to the name itself, but some parents make their choices based on both baby names and meanings. The top 10 boys and girls names of 2009 all have a wide variety of origins and meanings.
There are plenty of places to look for ideas for baby names and meanings these days, both online and off. There are books, websites and blogs all dedicated to finding the right baby names and meanings for your child. The Social Security Administration issues an annual report of the top 10 baby names every year and meanings often can be found using a simple search for "baby names and meanings."
We used the popular and comprehensive baby name website, BabyNameWizard.com and NameCandy.com, both created by Laura Wattenberg, who is also "The Name Lady" columnist for ParentDish, to look up the top 10 baby names and their meanings for 2009.
The top 10 baby names and meanings for girls, according to the website BabyNameWizard.com, are:
- 1. Isabella: Spanish, derived from the Hebrew Elizabeth, which means oath of my God
- 2. Emma: Germanic, means strength
- 3. Olivia: Elaboration of Olive, used by Shakespeare as the name of the heiress in "Twelfth Night"
- 4. Sophia: Borrows from the Greek, meaning is wisdom
- 5. Ava: This name is of uncertain origin and is thought to be short for the German name Avia, which also is of uncertain meaning. Possibly from the Hebrew for life, or the Latin for bird.
- 6. Emily: This Latin name means excel or rival.
- 7. Madison: English, was a common pet form of Matthew in the Middle Ages
- 8. Abigail: Hebrew, means rejoicing, and also "a lady's maid"
- 9. Chloe: Greek, synonymous with blooming
- 10. Mia: Short from of the Latin Maria, meaning "star of the sea"
The top 10 baby names and meanings for boys, according to BabyNameWizard.com, are:
- 1. Jacob: Hebrew, means supplanting, was the name of the son of Moses
- 2. Ethan: Of Hebrew origin, means strength
- 3. Michael: This name means "Who is like God?" and is also the biblical name of God's archangel.
- 4. Alexander: Greek, means a defender or helper of mankind
- 5. William: This Norman name means resolute protector.
- 6. Joshua: Of Hebrew origin, it means God is salvation.
- 7. Daniel: This Hebrew name means God is my judge.
- 8. Jayden: A combination of Jacob and Aidan, the meaning is uncertain.
- 9. Noah: Hebrew, name of the patriarch who was bidden by God to build an Ark
- 10. Anthony: Latin, means priceless
No matter what baby names and meanings you decide on, you'll find that the name takes on its own characteristics unique to your child as you watch them grow and change over the years.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- If it is a law it should be amended i was barred for 5 years for falling asleep while reading at barnes and noble dc
- inventions become professions and you should to get paid to go to school. guy wont's to retire one day degree no good ........ ...
- Justin Bieber - Baby ft. Ludacris by JustinBieberVEVO 3 years ago 859,231,811 views
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.