Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Zoe Armstrong: Five Ways to Fake a Break and Avoid Parenting Burnout
- How To Help Victims Of The Tornado
Miami Mom to Sue Hospital for Performing Unwanted Circumcision on Newborn
Filed under: In The News
Vera Delgado had made her wishes clear. The Miami mother says she told her doctors several times that she did not want Mario Viera, her newborn baby boy, circumcised.
Every man in her family is uncircumcised and she planned to follow family tradition, Delgado tells South Florida's CBS4. But, while being held in intensive care for 10 days, Mario, now 4 weeks old, was circumcised anyway, in the absence of his mother.
Now, Delgado says she's suing South Miami Hospital and the doctor for battery, Delgado's attorney, Spencer Aronfeld tells CBS.
"This is not malpractice. This is a battery," says Aronfeld. "They went and they did an unnecessary, unwanted procedure on this child without the parents' permission."
When the error was discovered, the hospital released this statement: "The baby's circumcision was an unfortunate mistake caused by a misread consent form. As soon as the error was discovered, the doctor and nurses let the family know what had occurred. We also immediately implemented new processes to ensure this mistake will not occur again. The procedure itself was performed following appropriate surgical guidelines and the baby didn't have any complications. Nevertheless, we're all deeply sorry that this happened."
"I know they apologized and everything," Degado tells the station, "but it's done, the damage is done."
Related: CDC to Release Circumcision Recommendations
Click here to watch the family's explanation of what happened.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Why would the defendant file an acknowledgment of service instead of a defence?
- Copyright royaly board understanding building a radio or tv (song sound good got your own radio)?
- PLAINTIFF’S MOTION FOR JUDGMENT ON THE PLEADINGS AS TO THE ANSWER BY DEFENDANTS ______________________________. Plaintiff, ________________________ h...
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.