Top 10 Safest Cities for Kids
Boston, Columbus, Ohio, and Louisville, Ky. are leading the way with programs aimed at reducing the risk of fire deaths, pedestrian accidents and other mishaps that contribute to the estimated 14 million potentially disabling, unintentional injuries that children sustain each year, Reuters reports. Minneapolis, New York, Portland, Ore., San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Fla., and Virginia Beach, Va., also make the top 10 list of the "Safest Cities for Families with Young Children."
"It's clear that most cities are doing great things to improve safety at home and in the community," says Gus Schaefer of Underwriters Laboratories (UL), the Northbrook, Ill.-based independent safety certification provider that commissioned the research, in a release.
The study was commissioned to look at best safety practices for cities and outline tips to help parents reduce preventable accidents, he says. The study looked at 25 safety criteria including proximity of hospitals, bike helmet laws and how quickly local fire departments respond to determine the safest cities for young children.
Some of the highlights of the study:
- Boston: Most hospitals per capita
- Portland: Lowest drowning rate and good air quality
- Virginia Beach: Scored high for a seat belt law that requires passengers under 18 to wear them, even if they are in the back seat
- New York: Firefighters were the fastest responders to emergencies
Also, 47 out of 50 cities had some nonsmoking legislation and an equal number required carbon monoxide alarms.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- At the internal revenue service it is not difficult to identify the inventor of a product or service that"s what create's the agency
- Pro-se not considered a attorney no bar# only self representation ,im i at a disadvantage based on non- affilation?
- Justin Bieber - Baby ft. Ludacris by JustinBieberVEVO 3 years ago 859,231,811 views
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.