Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- 27 Fantastic Books For Kids Of All Ages
- Mike Ryan: Ben Affleck Bids Bill Hader & Fred Armisen A Fond Farewell
Disney Grants Muslim Worker Right to Wear Headscarf (Under Wraps)
"When you wish upon a star ... " seems to have worked its magic for a Muslim college student employed by Disneyland who has been granted her wish to wear her hijab to work -- if she promises to wear a beret over the headdress.
After the Council on American-Islamic relations stepped in, the mega theme park reached a compromise with Noor Abdallah, a psychology major at the University of Illinois in Chicago. After initially refusing to let her wear her blue religious scarf, Disney gave the go-ahead, if she wears it under a beret, The Chicago Tribune reports.
The Muslim rights group stepped in when Abdallah, hired as a vacation planner intern, was told she would have to work in the stock room.
Abdallah, 22, of Mundelein, Illinois, grew up admiring Disney princesses such as Belle from "Beauty and the Beast," and Ariel from "The Little Mermaid." So, when the theme park banned her from wearing her hijab, "It broke my heart a little," she tells the Tribune.
"Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has a long history of accommodating a variety of religious requests from cast members of all faiths, with more than 200 accommodations made over the last three years," Disneyland Resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown tells the newspaper.
But Abdallah says she is pleased with the solution.
"I'd really hate to see another person lose the magic behind the Disney characters," she tells the Tribune.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- PLAINTIFF’S MOTION FOR JUDGMENT ON THE PLEADINGS AS TO THE ANSWER BY DEFENDANTS ______________________________. Plaintiff, ________________________ h...
- Copyright court case litigation? the words spoken by attorney at trial ? in defense of a product or person(or as plaintiff or defendant))
- If a governor or former military general was not on tv you you believe he was if you were told
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.