Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Gay Activists Rally Ahead Of Boy Scouts' Ban Vote
- How Long Did Neanderthals Nurse? Old Tooth Yields Answer
Madonna Talks Bullying, Says 'I Never Fit In at School'
Prompted by the recent spate of teen suicides, Madonna appeared on the "The Ellen Degeneres Show" Nov. 10 to discuss bullying.
"I'm incredibly disturbed and saddened by the overwhelming number of teen suicides that have been reported lately because of bullying," Madonna says.
The performer says we live in a society where bullying is encouraged, so it shouldn't be a surprise when kids think it's OK to bully anyone about anything, such as for being gay.
"The gay community has been incredibly supportive of me. I wouldn't have a career if it weren't for the gay community," the superstar and mom says, adding, "I also have a teenage daughter, and I have ongoing conversations with her about this topic."
Madonna says that she and her kids talk about the importance of not judging others, and that she can relate to kids who feel like they don't belong.
"I was incredibly lonely as a child, as a teenager. I have to say, I never felt I fit in at school," she tells Ellen. "I wasn't a jock, I wasn't an intellectual -- there was no group I felt a part of. I just felt like a weirdo."
There is something that everyone can do, according to Madonna.
"I think it would be interesting for everyone to try one simple experiment," Madonna says. "Try and get through the day without gossiping about somebody." She adds, "Can you imagine what your day would be like, how much free time you'd have?"
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- 01/16/2013 Order Sua Sponte to/for: Entered 2 day's before initial scheduling conference
- Why would the defendant file an acknowledgment of service instead of a defence?
- LAW SCHOOL OR COPYCAT would'nt it be a difficult profession ( lawyer)if anyone could use your court case defense as plaintiff or defendant
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.