Tips and Tricks to Ease Teething Pain
Teething can be a frustrating time for everyone involved. For kids, getting their first 20 teeth can be a painful process. For parents, it's a confusing one, since the baby can't tell you what's wrong. So, we turned to a few pediatricians to answer our questions.
At what age do which teeth come in?
"The temporary teeth come in between the age of 6 months to 1 year in most children," says Dr. Gaurav Gupta, a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics and pediatrics expert at JustAnswer.com.
The common schedule looks something like this:
- 6 to 7 months: Incisors (two central bottom and two central top teeth)
- 7 to 9 months: More incisors (two top, two bottom)
- 10 to 14 months: First molars (four teeth closer to the back of the mouth)
- 15 to 18 months: Canines (four pointed teeth near the front)
- 2 to 3 years: Second molars (four more teeth at the back of the mouth)
According to the American Dental Association (ADA), parents should try the following:
- Rub the gum with a clean finger, cool spoon or wet gauze pad.
- Offer your child a clean teething ring to chew on.
- Let them chew on a pacifier.
- Ask your pediatrician for a recommendation of a numbing gel or salve or an over-the-counter pain reliever.
"If there are no teeth by age 12 months, they should talk to their doctor," says Dr. David Hill, an adjunct assistant professor of pediatrics at UNC Medical School in North Carolina and colleague of Gupta at JustAnswer.
According to the ADA, babies may become fussy and irritable, have trouble sleeping, drool and lose their appetite -- all signs that should not worry parents. But Hill warns parents not to attribute a fever over 102 degrees or severe diarrhea to teething.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Would you request up front payment from foreign nation and a recurring debt with the united states
- LAW SCHOOL OR COPYCAT would'nt it be a difficult profession ( lawyer)if anyone could use your court case defense as plaintiff or defendant
- If a person could build a space shuttle could a government afford to pay him excluding restrictions?
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.