Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Babble.com: 8 Parenting Lessons To Learn From 'Arrested Development'
- Our Favorite Tweets From Parents This Week
Running Accidents Among Kids Increasing, Study Says
Listen to your mothers, boys and girls, and slow down. You might hurt yourselves.
Don't make Mommy cite fresh research from the Center for Injury Research and Policy on the dangers of running.
Researchers from the Research Institute at Nationwide Children's Hospital found the number of running-related injuries among kids ages 6 to 18 increased 34 percent between 1994 and 2007. That's an average of 16,000 trips to emergency rooms per year over the 14-year period.
According to a Center for Injury Research and Policy press release, most of those visits were for sprains, strains and other leg-related boo-boos. More than half the injuries occurred at school.
Younger children (ages 6 to 14) were the most likely to be injured at school, while teenagers (ages 15 to 18) where more likely to get hurt running in the street or while participating in a sport.
"Encouraging children and adolescents to run for exercise is a great way to ensure that they remain physically active," Lara McKenzie, the principle investigator at the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital, says in the release.
"However, the findings from our study show that formal, evidenced-based and age-specific guidelines are needed for pediatric runners so that parents, coaches and physical education teachers can teach children the proper way to run in order to reduce the risk of injury," she adds.
This is reportedly the first study to examine a nationally representative sample of running-related injuries treated in U.S. emergency departments.
McKenzie says in the release that more research is necessary to thoroughly understand kids' running-related injuries and what can be done to prevent them.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Discuss Derian douglas hickman's answer to: 01/16/2013 Order Sua Sponte to/for: Entered 2 day's before initial scheduling conference 01/16/2013
- Copyright court case litigation? the words spoken by attorney at trial ? in defense of a product or person(or as plaintiff or defendant))
- . two ways to lose property's selling or debt ( debt property is sold to pay debt) the debt has to be proved) court managing property?
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.