Kids' Craft: Valentine's Day Cards
Let kids of any age craft their own Valentine's Day greetings for classmates and friends with heart-shaped stamps made from potatoes.
What you'll need:
- 3 to 4 large baking potatoes
- Heart-shaped cookies cutters
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife (for adult use only)
- Butter knife
- Paper towels
- Foam brush
- Water-based paint in desired colors
- Blank greeting cards or folded cardstock paper in white and pink or desired colors
- Assorted charms, appliqués, stick-ons, ribbon, glitter paint and accouterments
- White craft glue
- Small twist ties or wire
1. To make heart-shaped stamp: On a cutting board, an adult should take a thin lengthwise slice off one potato. Opt for the flattest side and cut enough to give you a large surface area of potato flesh.
2. Let the child choose a heart-shaped cookie cutter, then center it to fit on the potato and push down into flesh as if cutting dough to make cookies.
3. Using a butter knife, kids can slice potato around cookie cutter about 1/4 to 1/2 inch down so that knife hits cookie cutter and stops it from cutting below shape.
4. Pull off excess and remove cookie cutter. Hint: You may want to notch top and bottom of potato to delineate top and bottom of heart shape.
5. Pat potato dry with paper towels. Use foam brush to apply a very thin layer of paint to heart-shaped stamp.
6. Position stamp over cards in desired place and press down, trying not to let potato slip. Hint: Practice a few times on a blank piece of paper, so that the child gets the hang and feel of the stamp.
7. Repeat in desired colors, and with different sized cookie cutters.
8. When paint is dry, about 30 minutes, play with different add-ons. Glue, stick, paint or attach your embellishments onto cards surface in desired place.
Want to get the latest ParentDish news and advice? Sign up for our newsletter!
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- PLAINTIFF’S MOTION FOR JUDGMENT ON THE PLEADINGS AS TO THE ANSWER BY DEFENDANTS ______________________________. Plaintiff, ________________________ h...
- ATTORYNE'S ONLY (PARALEAGEL'S WELCOM) A phrase that indicates the permission given by a court to an indigent to initiate a legal action
- At the internal revenue service it is not difficult to identify the inventor of a product or service that"s what create's the agency
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.