Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Caron Gremont: Obesity's Officially a Disease, So How Come My Child…
- Karri-Leigh P. Mastrangelo: Am I Going to Hell For My Position on…
App Review: 'Fox in Socks' - Dr. Seuss
Filed under: Apps
Rated ON for Ages 5 and Up
What Parents Need to Know
Parents need to know that "Fox in Socks" is a digital version of the classic Dr. Seuss tongue-twister book. There is one section that involves battling beetles hitting each other with paddles, and the fox gets shoved into a bottle, but otherwise the book is free of violence and other iffy content. The main page links to the other book apps by the developer.
The good stuff
- Ease of play: Very simple to use: Choose a mode, tap on objects to learn the words, and swipe to turn the page. Autoplay mode will read through the entire book without any additional input.
- Educational value: With the Autoplay mode, the app reads the story and turns the pages. In the Read to Me mode, the app reads the story but pauses at each page to allow time for exploration. With the Read It Myself mode, the app simply displays the words. In both read-aloud versions, the words are highlighted as they are read. Also, tapping on objects found on each page results in the word being displayed and pronounced.
What to watch out for
- Violence: There is a section of the book about tweetle beetles battling and hitting each other with paddles. Also, at the end the frustrated Mr. Knox shoves the fox into a bottle because he is tired of tongue twisters.
- Sex: Not an issue.
- Language: Not an issue.
- Consumerism: On the main menu there is a link to other picture book apps from the developer. Also, on the info screen, there are links to the developer's website and the Seussville website. Occasionally the app will pop up messages suggesting other book apps to purchase.
- Drinking, drugs, & smoking: Not an issue.
Want to get the latest ParentDish news and advice? Sign up for our newsletter!
Get more information for parents on media and technology by checking out Common Sense Media.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Would you request up front payment from foreign nation and a recurring debt with the united states
- . two ways to lose property's selling or debt ( debt property is sold to pay debt) the debt has to be proved) court managing property?
- Copyright royaly board understanding building a radio or tv (song sound good got your own radio)?
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.