Music Review: 'Born This Way' by Lady Gaga
Filed under: Music
What Parents Need to Know
Parents need to know that "Born This Way" is much less provocative than the typical Lady GaGa song. It lacks the explicit references to sex, substance use, and violence that characterize many of her other tunes, instead focusing on a more positive message about loving yourself for who you are. Parents should note that this message includes an acceptance of sexual orientation: "No matter gay, straight or bi / lesbian, transgendered life."
The good stuff
- Messages: The lyrics are positive and affirming: "Don't hide yourself in regret, just love yourself and you're set / I'm on the right track, baby, I was born this way."
- Role models: The song encourages people to be themselves.
- Violence: Not an issue.
- Sex: Lyrics mention various sexual orientations: "No matter gay, straight or bi / lesbian, transgendered life."
- Language: Not an issue.
- Consumerism: Not an issue.
- Drinking, drugs, & smoking: Not an issue.
In the single "Born This Way," one of the biggest pop stars on the planet -- Lady GaGa -- sings about accepting yourself no matter who you are. The lyrics are a lot cleaner than most of her other songs, including almost no mature content aside from some references to various sexual orientations (including homosexuality and transgenderism). It's an affirming, upbeat choice for impressionable young teens who could benefit from a self-confidence boost.
Is It Any Good?
Lady GaGa's '80s influence shows through loud and clear in this track, with big, booming arrangements that are reminiscent of Madonna's huge hit "Express Yourself." While this sound doesn't make for the most original-sounding song, it's still catchy enough to earn plenty of radio play.
This review was written by Stephanie Bruzzese.
Want to get the latest ParentDish news and advice? Sign up for our newsletter!
Get more information for parents on media and technology by checking out Common Sense Media.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- At the internal revenue service it is not difficult to identify the inventor of a product or service that"s what create's the agency
- Would you request up front payment from foreign nation and a recurring debt with the united states
- Why would a RN to a terminally-ll child would walk out of her job & never say goodby to her patient?
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.