App Review: 'Tiny Wings'
Filed under: Apps
Rated ON for Ages 7 and Up
What Parents Need to Know
Parents need to know "Tiny Wings" is an arcade game that combines physics and rhythm. Players control a flightless bird who gains altitude by sliding down hills, then catches air when he hits the peak of the next one. By pressing the screen at the right (or wrong) time, you can accelerate his speed going down the hill or hamper it going up. The further you go, the more distance you put between the bird and nighttime. (Once the sky is filled with stars, the game is over.) Like "Fruit Ninja" and "Angry Birds," this app has a simple premise that can be very addicting. The game does not have any violent elements, but does connect to the Open Feint service, where children could potentially choose to share their personal information with strangers.
What to watch out for
- Violence: Not an issue.
- Sex: Not an issue.
- Language: Not an issue.
- Consumerism: Not an issue.
- Drinking, drugs, and smoking: Not an issue.
How safe is it?
- Personal privacy: Some privacy concerns. Users can opt in to Open Feint, an interactive network, which allows users to upload real avatar photos, post on message boards, connect with Facebook friends or Twitter followers, and access live chat with strangers.
- Personal safety: Some safety concerns. If users opt in to Open Feint they can choose to share their personal information with strangers.
Not since "Angry Birds" first hit the App Store has a title so captivated the iAudience, and "Tiny Wings" deserves the praise. It's a game whose success lies in its simplicity -- the controls consist solely of touching the screen at the right time. That might sound a bit thin, but this is the type of game you'll find yourself playing for long, long periods. It is, in many ways, Zen-like. Beyond the core gameplay, there's an added bonus: the various islands you'll explore change every day, giving the title an incredible amount of replayability, as you can't simply learn a pattern and repeat it time and again. "Tiny Wings" is one of those rare games that makes you feel good as you play, letting you root for the chubby little bird on screen and share his joy when he takes to the sky.
Phone: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Category: Arcade Games
Price: $0.99, Version: 1.0, Size: 10.5 MB
Release Date: 2/25/2011, Publisher: Andreas Illiger
Minimum software requirements: OS 3.1 or later
This review of "Tiny Wings" was written by Chris Morris.
Want to get the latest ParentDish news and advice? Sign up for our newsletter!
Get more information for parents on media and technology by checking out Common Sense Media.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- inventions become professions and you should to get paid to go to school. guy wont's to retire one day degree no good ........ ...
- ,PASSPORT'S AND THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE (TRAVELERS TO A GOVERNMENT( THE PEOPLE WOULD BE (ON VACATION OR WORKING ) = 0% UNEMPLOYMENT
- Good article for a homeless news paper
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.