Music Review: 'Never Say Never' by Justin Bieber and Jaden Smith
Filed under: Music
Rated ON for Ages 7 and Up
What Parents Need to Know
Parents need to know that "Never Say Never" is another clean, uplifting song from Justin Bieber. Its positive lyrics focus on sticking with something even when others try to knock you down: "I will never say never, I will fight 'til forever / Whenever you knock me down, I will not stay on the ground."
The good stuff
- Messages: These positive lyrics are all about trying your hardest and never giving up on your dreams.
- Role models: The song encourages kids to stay strong in the face of hardship.
What to watch out for
- Violence: Not an issue.
- Sex: Not an issue.
- Language: Not an issue.
- Consumerism: Not an issue.
- Drinking, drugs, and smoking: Not an issue.
What's the Story?
"Never Say Never" is a song originally from the soundtrack of 2010's "The Karate Kid" that was re-released to appear on the 2011 album "Never Say Never." The tune also features guest vocals from the movie's star, Jaden Smith. In the same vein as the film, the track's lyrics encourage following your dreams even when obstacles get in your way. Like just about every Justin Bieber song that's come before, this tune includes no swearing or adult content, making it another great choice for kids of any age.
Is It Any Good?
There's nothing earth-shattering about this single's sound: it has the same straight-up, synth-pop hook and solid vocals as lots of Bieber songs. That said, Smith's guest spot is a cute addition that will undoubtedly appeal to younger kids in search of some age-appropriate rap.
This review of "Never Say Never" was written by Stephanie Bruzzese.
Want to get the latest ParentDish news and advice? Sign up for our newsletter!
Get more information for parents on media and technology by checking out Common Sense Media.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Disciplining my 4 year old for stealing from me
- LAW SCHOOL OR COPYCAT would'nt it be a difficult profession ( lawyer)if anyone could use your court case defense as plaintiff or defendant
- Pro-se not considered a attorney no bar# only self representation ,im i at a disadvantage based on non- affilation?
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.