Music Review: 'Beggin' on Your Knees' by Victoria Justice
Filed under: Music
What Parents Need to Know
Parents need to know that Victoria Justice is the star of the Nick TV show "Victorious" and is very popular with tweens. This single's lyrics are free of sex and profanity, but because the song is about a girlfriend getting a little revenge on a two-timing boyfriend, younger kids might be confused by lyrics such as "You mess with me, I'll mess with her, I'll make sure you get what you deserve" and "Watch your back, you don't know when or where I could get you," even if they're sung in a playful manner.
The good stuff
- Messages: The song talks about being betrayed by a boyfriend and seeking some sort of revenge: "You mess with me, I'll mess with her, I'll make sure you get what you deserve." But although some of the lyrics say things like "watch your back," it all has a playful tone.
- Role models: A girlfriend betrayed by her two-timing boyfriend gets back at him in a harmless way and has fun with her friends regardless of heartache.
What to watch out for
- Violence: The lyrics are playful but could be construed as menacing: "You mess with me, I'll mess with her, I'll make sure you get what you deserve" and "Watch your back, you don't know when or where I could get you."
- Sex: Not an issue.
- Language: Not an issue.
- Consumerism: Justice stars on the Nick TV show "Victorious."
- Drinking, drugs, & smoking: Not an issue.
Nickelodeon star Victoria Justice ("Zoey 101," "The Boy Who Cried Werewolf") is joining the ranks of every other teenage TV celebrity by trying to make her way in the music world. "Beggin' On Your Knees" is featured on the soundtrack for Justice's show, "Victorious," with the 18-year-old singing about getting some sweet revenge on a two-timing boyfriend. The video features fellow "Victorious" castmates and is set at a carnival, with a dancing, smirking, Justice moving on.
Is It Any Good?
Justice has a voice unlike other starlets her age: It's deeper and more mature, and it demands attention right away. This catchy song is great for dancing and sleepovers and will probably have fans beggin' for more. That said, even though it's all in jest, the lyrics might be a little harsh for younger kids, even in their playful tone: "You mess with me, I'll mess with her, I'll make sure you get what you deserve" and "Watch your back, you don't know when or where I could get you." The video shows Justice merely telling the "other" girlfriend the truth, but younger kids might picture something more menacing.
This review of "Beggin' on Your Knees" was written by Jessica Dawson
Want to get the latest ParentDish news and advice? Sign up for our newsletter!
Get more information for parents on media and technology by checking out Common Sense Media.
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- The data also revealed some interesting facts about Canadians beliefs: A majority (53%) of Canadians believe in God. What is USA %
- What is the fee for filing to run for office? There is no filing fee for U.S. Presidential candidates or people running as write-in candidates
- The need for a military is consistant with the intellect on the land being able to convert metals into a computer example
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.