Great Foods to Eat During Pregnancy
To find out how to satisfy your cravings, ParentDish spoke with Allison Tannis, co-author of "The 100 Healthiest Foods to Eat During Pregnancy." Along with the prenatal vitamin your doctor prescribed, her top 10 list includes:
1. Almonds are filled with with calcium, protein, fiber and magnesium and a handful can stave off midday hunger.
2. Apricots are a good source of iron and fiber in your morning oatmeal, in granola or eaten by the handful.
3. Brewer's Yeast, sprinkled on popcorn, is full of B vitamins for energy.
4. Ginger is a great anti-nausea food you can sip in teas or add to stir fries. For a treat, try nibbling on small amounts of candied ginger.
5. Kiwi is high in vitamin C and is delicious when added to a fruit salad or sliced and eaten along with any meal.
6. Popcorn helps fight nausea. Making your own popcorn, as opposed to microwave packages, lets you control the amount of butter and salt.
7. Salmon is a terrific source of omega 3s, is low in calories and is a source of protein that is critical to the baby's development.
8. Spinach and other dark leafy greens are packed with nutrients and a good source of fiber.
9. Water and ice are crucial to staying hydrated during pregnancy. There's no need to drink extra calories in sports drinks and calorie-loaded treats from your coffee place. Water quenches thirst and can fill you up before a meal.
10. Wheat germ is a source of fiber, minerals and energizing B vitamins. Sprinkle it on yogurt or cereal, bake it into muffins or use it in place of breadcrumbs when coating fish or making meatballs.
Make sure to choose from a wide variety when picking out fruits, vegetables, low fat proteins, grains, nuts, seeds and dairy products. If you are planning to become pregnant, be sure to talk to your doctor about the best way to eat for you and your baby.
"Just eat as close to the normal form of the food as possible," says Elisa Zied, registered dietitian and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. Highly processed foods can lose many of the nutrients you need during pregnancy, so stick to fresh cheese over cheese flavored crackers, or a piece of fruit over foods with fruit added.
Related: Does eating for two mean eating double meals?
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- If a person could build a space shuttle could a government afford to pay him excluding restrictions?
- Court Filings and Court Records updated daily Go Back Lawsuit or other court case details PlaintiffBROOKS, ZINA EULLETECase #DF-00-20075 Defendant HIC...
- 3 SHOWS A HOUR 7 HOURS = 21 (10 DAYS = 210) 10 STUDIOS = 2100 20 STUDIOS = 4200 (IN 10 DAYS) 3 (20 MINUTE SHOWS).
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.