Hot on HuffPost Parents:
- Bonnie Fuller: Zach Sobiech: You Were a Huge Inspiration in Your…
- When A Tornado Strikes, Should Schools Evacuate?
Heart Defects in Minority Children Yield Greater Risk of Death, Study Shows
Texas Researchers studied the medical records of almost 20,000 black, Hispanic and white infants born with congenital heart defects between 1996 and 2005. They found that black infants were 32 percent more likely to die before age 5 than white babies. Hispanic babies with heart defects also were more likely to die than their white peers.
Researchers from the study published in Pediatrics say the stats point to the need for preventive strategies to reduce radical and ethnic disparities among infants and young children, U.S. News reports.
"When you consider that the numbers of minority children continue to grow and are expected to account for more than half of all U.S. children by 2040, it's clear we need to reduce the racial and disparities that burden the health care system and adversely affect the lives of families," lead author Wendy Nembhard, associate professor of epidemiology at the University of South Florida College of Public Health, says in a university release.
Congenital heart defects are malformations in one or more structures of the heart or major blood vessels that occur before birth. They are the most common of all birth defects and the leading cause of death among infants with birth defects, according to the release.
The new study adds to a growing body of evidence that minority infants with specific types of heart defects have lower survival rates in early childhood than those of non-Hispanic white infants.
Want to get the latest ParentDish news and advice? Sign up for our newsletter!
Ask Us Anything About Parenting
- Would you want to to pick your own security . ? im sure they get homes paid for by the state or political party also. 18 =20 votes before 98
- Do people ever get a civil trial this is too many dismissals with out a response from defendants
- . two ways to lose property's selling or debt ( debt property is sold to pay debt) the debt has to be proved) court managing property?
Start by teaching him that it is safe to do so.